Agawa Central Railway
SUMMER: One of the most spectacular train excursions in North America. You will travel 114 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie over towering trestles, alongside pristine northern lakes and rivers, and through the awesome granite rock formations and mixed forest of the Canadian Shield.
FALL COLOUR SEASON: During the fall, Algoma Central Country is ablaze with colour! While peak colour varies with each season, the last two weeks of September and the first week of October can offer the most spectacular colour and should be considered when planning your fall tour.
TOUR OF THE LINE: Travel to the End of Steel! All aboard our regular passenger train for a rail fan's dream. This 590 mile round-trip excursion combines the rugged beauty of the Canyon Tour with the unique boreal forest of the Great Clay Belt region, topped off with an overnight stay in the French Canadian town of Hearst, the Moose Capital of Canada.
Algoma Arts Festival Association
690 Queen Street E.
World-class performances and exhibits will once again come to Sault Ste. Marie for the 32nd Annual Algoma Fall Festival. The festival runs while Algoma's magnificent fall colours are at their peak. For a complete listing of events, see the Algoma Fall Festival's Website or call the Algoma Arts Festival office at (705) 949-0822 or fax 949-4070. Tickets are available at the Station Mall Box Office after Labour Day. Call the box office (705) 945-7299. Fax (705) 945-7346.
ART GALLERY OF ALGOMA
10 East Street
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Opened in 1976, this public gallery provides excellent quality, wide-ranging programs and changing exhibits throughout the year. View original work of some of local artists.
Gallery education takes you through classes, lectures, films, tours; schools visit and meet the artist receptions. There is a charming and elegant gift shop on the main level and an art rental and sales area on the mezzanine.
Queen Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Bellevue Park has beautifully maintained gardens, greenhouses and picnic areas. This beautiful park set on the shore of the St. Mary's River offers something for everyone. Feed the ducks and geese, take in a concert at the amphitheatre, or just take a relaxing walk. Children's playground with climbing apparatus, swings and creative equipment. Open year round daily 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
50 Pim Street
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
(705) 945-6242 or 1-877-BUSHPLANE
"CANADA'S BEST INDOOR ATTRACTION"
WHERE ADVENTURES TAKE OFF!
A must for aviation and fire fighter enthusiasts! Aviation memorabilia available. The centre is easily accessible from the right hand lane of Bay Street, which runs along the city's waterfront. The new Object Theatre is an attraction within an attraction, which will show "Wings Over The North," produced by Science North of Sudbury.
R.R. #2, 1021 Mission Road
Goulais River, Ontario
Toll Free: 1-800-970-6662
Caribou Expeditions offers sea kayak tours of Lake Superior and lake Huron, including day-tips, wilderness overnight camping, lodge-to-lodge kayaking, and kayak instruction. In addition they offer a kayak tour among the whales of the Saguenay Fjord and the gulf of St. Lawrence. They will provide you with a wilderness adventure that is exciting, safe and educational. Call or check out their website for Caribou-Expeditions 2006 Tours.
Introduction to Sea Kayaking & Wilderness Kayaking
831 Queen Street E.
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Phone: (705) 759-5443
This elegant house was built in 1814 for a very Oakes Ermatinger, his Ojibway wife Mananowe (Charlotte), and their children. During their stay in Sault Ste. Marie, this house served as the social centre for the immediate and surrounding communities. Many dinner parties, dances and voyageur rendez-vous were held here. By 1826, the fur trade in the Algoma area had dropped dramatically. This coupled with family business in Montreal, was a deciding factor in the Ermatinger's decision to return to Montreal in 1828. The Historic Sites Board of the City of Sault Ste. Marie operates the Ermatinger Old Stone House.
Fort St. Joseph National Historic Site
Richards Landing, ON
Hours: Victoria Day to Thanksgiving 10am to 5pm
Once the most westerly frontier outpost in British North America, Fort St. Joseph was strategically located at the entrance to the channel linking lakes Huron and Superior. It was the western headquarters for the Indian Department and a major fur trade supply depot from 1796 to 1812. Fort St. Joseph accords visitors a decidedly different "fort experience". Rather than a reconstruction, visitors see exactly what remained after the fort was burned by the Americans in 1815. Stabilized ruins blend with nature, and the site abounds with birds, animals and wildflowers. Exhibits, audiovisual presentations and services are provided at the Visitor Centre. Interpretive signs at the ruins explain the history of the site.
See all four US locks, St. Mary's Rapids, three hydro-electric plants and the Historic Cnadian Lock. experience "locking through" from Lake Huron to Lake Superior.. Cruise underneath International Highway Bridge, and get a sailor's view of many interesting sites. Cruise along side lake freighters & ocean vessels. Learn about passing ships as you get a close up view from your boat. Please visit the Soo Locks website for more information.
Frances H. Clergue -- Generating Station
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 6J6
Phone; (705) 759-7600
The Francis H. Clergue Generating Station is located on the St. Mary's River, which connects Lake Superior to Lake Huron. All water used at this location is regulated by the Lake Superior Board of Control of the International Joint Commission.
Great Lakes Power Limited is proud of its long history as a private electrical energy company supplying essential services to its customers. As a team we thrive by continually challenging and committing ourselves to:
Employee and Public Safety Performance
110 Whitefish Pt. Rd.
Paradise, MI 49768
Throughout the museum and theatre, visitors will see maritime legends come to life. Artifacts and exhibits tell stories of sailors and ships that braved the waters of Superior and those who were lost to its menacing waves.
DIRECTIONS FROM SAULT STE. MARIE, ONTARIO: Follow I-75 south to M-28 west. Take M-123 north to Paradise, Michigan. Once in Paradise, continue north on Whitefish Point Road for 11 miles to the Whitefish Point Light Station. All roads are well paved and maintained by the State/County.
Travel Time = approximately 1 hour, 10 minutes
Tree Top Adventures hosts many adventure based activities to entertain locals and travellers abroad. The canopy tour is a two-hour activity that consists of 18-20 treetop games. A game consists of a method of travel from one tree to another. There is an advanced and an intermediate course. Visitors of the attraction will trek across cables, beams, and logs, cross wobbly bridges, swing like Tarzan, zip line with speed, and test their balance as they manoeuvre through many obstacles, all while safely attached with two carabineers. Treetop Adventures will also feature the largest zip line in Northern Ontario. It will extend a distance of two football fields over a scenic ravine. The company is also excited to offer an orienteering and a wilderness survuval program that can be utilized separately or as a package with the canopy tour and zip line ride. Thrilling birthday parties, educational and fun field trips for schools, sell-out fundraisers, or dynamic corporate team building activities, Treetop Adventures is for you! The park is TSSA (Government) approved.
Laird Raceway is located east of Echo Bay on Lake George Road West (Laird Fairgrounds) with 5 divisions to meet everyone's interests. Grandstand and Pit season tickets may be purchased by calling (705) 256-1652.
All races are on Thursdays. Rain Dates will be rescheduled and notified.
SAULT STE. MARIE
Lower Pine Street
705-759-5310, Kiosk - 759-2838
Robert Bondar Transient Marina
65 Foster Drive
705-759-5430 or 759-5310
EAST OF SAULT STE. MARIE
Kensington Point Marina
Desbarats, ON - 705-782-6251
Hilton Beach Marina
Hilton Beach - 705-246-2291
Clark's Cove Marina
Richards Landing, St. Joseph Island
Richard's Landing Municipal Marina
Richard's Landing, St. Joseph's Island
St. Joseph Island Boatel (Storage)
Sterling Bay, St. Joseph Island
56 Algoma, Thessalon
Blind River Marina Park
Lakeside Avenue, Blind River
Bruce Mines Marina
Highway 17 East, Bruce Mines
NORTH OF SAULT STE. MARIE
Patty's Gitchee Gumee Marina
Haviland Shores Drive
Seasonal Phone on Board
Located in the Roberta Bondar Marina, close to the Pavilion, the M.S. Norgoma remains one of Sault Ste Marie's oldest waterfront attractions. In the 1950's and '60's, the M.S. Norgoma served as a passenger and freight vessel docking at various points along the "Turkey Trail" and was considered the life line to the North Channel communities. The vessel could sleep up to 100 people, and she could comfortably seat 50 in the dining room. On the main and lower decks, the M. S. Norgoma was able to transport up to 40 cars along with a sizable cargo. Currently she is being restored to her original condition all the while remaining open to the public from mid-May to mid-October.
John Rhodes Community Centre Pool (Indoor)
260 Elizabeth Street
V.E. Greco Pool (Outdoor)
269 Albert St. West
Peter J. Manzo Pool (Outdoor)
710 Young Street
Tarentorous Fish Culture Station
Fish Hatchery Road, R.R. #5
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Operating Schedule: Open Year Round Monday to Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
This large indoor facility is run by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and rears trout for the Great Lakes and inland waterways. The hatchery has a two-level self-guided visitor centre, with displays showing various aspects of fish culture.
Sault Ste. Marie Canal National Historic Site of Canada
1 Canal Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
The Sault Canal National Historic Site, a Parks Canada site of national historic significance, is protected and presented on St. Mary's Island, near downtown Sault Ste. Marie.
Facilities: Free parking, indoor & outdoor exhibits, year-round fishing
Daily tours are available on the hour and a schedule of special events can be obtained by contacting visitor activities at (705) 941 - 6205
690 Queen Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The museum building was formerly used as the Sault Ste. Marie Post Office. The interior features a magnificent oak staircase, a three-story light well topped by a skylight and a plated glass floor. Exciting exhibits throughout the year! Convenient free parking and ramp entry at the rear. Elevator access to all floors. Ask about details of "Life in the Past Lane."
Located downtown on the shore of the St. Mary's River. The Roberta Bondar Park is a year-round venue for specialty performances of all kinds, concerts, banquets, symphony performances and festivals. Community events and sporting events often centre around the park and the Pavilion. Named after Canada's first woman in space, and a Sault Ste. Marie native, this four-season pavilion is the host to many festivals, concerts and special events. For information regarding musical entertainment and special events please call (705) 759-5310.
Strolling along a secluded beach, listening to the birds in an emerald green forest, admiring the colourful spring wildflowers, trading stories at the campsite by a picturesque lake, enjoying spectacular views from a high rocky ridge, sharing lunch time conversation beside a tumbling forest brook, walking with others and breathing fresh, healthy air. These are just some of the experiences to be had along the Voyageur Hiking Trail.
For more information about hiking please contact the Voyageur Trail Association at (705) 942-1891 or toll free at 1-877-393-4003
Visit the Voyageur Trail Association website at www.voyageurtrail.ca
ST. MARY'S RIVER BOARDWALK
For a brisk walk or leisurely stroll, the waterfront boardwalk is the perfect place. Located along the St. Mary's River in downtown Sault Ste. Marie, the walkway runs from the Great Lakes Power plant on Canal Drive to Roberta Bondar Park and ends at the Civic Centre on Foster Drive.
SAULT STE. MARIE LIGHT THE CROSS
Perched on the hilltop adjoining St. George's Avenue is the Western Hemisphere's tallest, illuminated, self-supporting cross. From this location there is a panoramic view of the St. Marys River rapids and the Twin Cities. A symbol of peace, love, and unity within and between our two communities, the lighted cross commemorates a cross erected on a hilltop in the areas in 1671. The view of the cross from the International Bridge at night is inspiring. For Information call (705)-779-2483.